Advanced Resins and Coatings Technologies Innovation Centre (ARCTIC), established in August 2016 by London South Bank University.
ARCTIC has secured £750k of funding through the European Commission's Horizon 2020 Programme and InnovateUK in its year of operation. ARCTIC Director Dr Geraldine Durand and a PhD student are performing fundamental research in coatings, nanomaterials and hybrid resins.
ARCTIC operates as a long-term strategic partnership between London South Bank University (LSBU) and TWI with the aim of developing a financially sustainable research facility, drawing on LSBU's existing strengths, to complement and underpin the applied research and development activities of TWI.
ARCTIC’s mission is to establish a world-class research centre offering high-quality research with an industry focus in an innovative environment. It aims to attract outstanding researchers, focusing on resins and coatings technologies for sectors including aerospace, construction, and energy.
The Centre will develop a financially sustainable research facility, drawing on existing strengths at LSBU to complement and underpin applied research and development activities at TWI.
- Creation of a shared research and technology facility
- Undertake joint research programmes
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from external sponsors
- Build a mutual understanding of future research challenges and opportunities
- Develop the next generation of technologies and scientists
- Materials design
- Durable functional coatings and materials
- Omni-phobic surfaces (repelling water,ice,wax,inks, scales,dirt)
- Anti-corrosion,barrier properties