Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre (J4IC), launched in April 2017.
The Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre (J4IC) is a strategic partnership between Lancaster University and TWI with the aim of developing a comprehensive research capability focused on the digitalisation of joining and associated manufacturing technologies.
The J4IC is focusing on joining technologies in the context of industry 4.0 – a term used to describe the fourth industrial revolution. The Centre draws on and integrates Lancaster’s existing research strengths within engineering, data science and computing, with TWI’s world-leading knowhow in joining technologies, thereby creating, developing and embedding transformative manufacturing capabilities for the benefit of the industry.
- Be world-leading and industrially relevant in the R&D of digital manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining and associated technologies
- Create a successful collaborative environment between HEI-RTO-industry with substantial research, technology impact and adoption by industry
- Establish an excellent research environment underpinned by MSc, PhD researchers and academic staff embedded by industry
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from public funding bodies
- Digitalised manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining technologies
- Underpinned with expert joining knowhow, data-centric engineering, software platforms, cloud computing, advanced systems connectivity, robotics and communications solutions