Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre (J4IC) launched in April 2017.
The Joining 4.0 Innovation Centre (J4IC) is a strategic partnership between Lancaster University and TWI with the aim of developing a comprehensive research capability focused on the digitalisation of joining and associated manufacturing technologies.
The J4IC will focus on joining technologies in the context of industry 4.0 – a term used to describe the fourth industrial revolution. The Centre will draw on and integrate Lancaster’s existing research strengths within engineering, data science and computing, with TWI’s world leading knowhow in joining technologies to create, develop and embed transformative manufacturing capabilities for the benefit of industry.
- To be world-leading and industrially relevant in the R&D of digital manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining and associated technologies
- To create a successful collaborative environment between HEI-RTO-industry with substantial research, technology impact and adoption by industry
- To establish an excellent research environment underpinned by MSc, PhD researchers and academic staff embedded by industry
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from public funding bodies
- Digitalised manufacturing capabilities based on advanced joining technologies
- Underpinned with expert joining knowhow, data centric engineering, software platforms, cloud computing, advanced systems connectivity, robotics and communications solutions