The Polymeric Materials Engineering, Research & Innovation Centre (PolyMERIC), established in 2018.
PolyMERIC operates as a long term strategic partnership between TWI Ltd and London South Bank University (LSBU) and is the third Innovation Centre established within this structure.
The centre researches and develops new polymer materials, testing and inspection methodologies in harsh environments, in the TRL1-6 region, to support the work of TWI. It does this by identifying the future needs of its industrial membership base and establishing an excellent research environment underpinned by MSc, PhD researchers and academic staff driven by industry
PolyMERIC’s mission is to become a world-class centre specialising in polymer technology with a view to growing a portfolio of activities, including innovation projects and PhD studies with testing and inspection methodologies applied on polymer materials. The centre aims to develop new applications for an integrated systems approach for many industrial sectors’ interests and usage.
- Establish a world-leading research centre for polymeric materials
- Enabling use and adoption of polymeric materials across industry sectors
- Undertake joint research programmes
- Secure a portfolio of research funding from external sponsors
PolyMERIC focuses mainly on, but is not limited to, the following:
- Selection and evaluation of polymers and thermoplastic composites for new applications
- Metal replacement in different industry sectors including O&G, energy, automotive, aerospace and construction
- Recycling of polymers
- Welding and joining of components made of thermoplastics and reinforced thermoplastic composites
- Functional and smart polymers
- Inspection techniques for polymer materials in harsh environments